Wednesday 29 August 2018

networking - Extending WiFi range - what do I need and in what configuration?


The setup would be as the diagram below.


The issue is that when in Room A, the WiFi signal from the router/modem in Room B is flaky, causing the devices in Room A to drop the connection all the time.


I can easily add another 3-port Powerline networking plug in Room A (I have them elsewhere) to get wired connections into the Wii/XBox/Sky TV box.


My question: I want to get the two WiFi devices in Room A connected via the 'mystery box', which will allow a strong signal since it is in the room, and which will use the (effectively, via Powerline) wired LAN connection to the modem/router in Room B, and not just pick up the existing WiFi signal from Room B,


So do I need something in repeater or access point mode for my mystery box, and can it be made to work over a wired connection?


enter image description here



Answer



Looks to me like your mystery box needs to be a wireless access point.


If you'd like to roam between both WAPs (one in room B and one in room A) then set identical SSID and security settings. I would give this a try and see if it works well with your wireless devices. Wireless roaming is left up to the client device/network adapter, so your mileage may vary between machines (my Galaxy S3 roams like a boss; the wife's ancient Mac book not so much.)


If roaming doesn't work well for you, I would simply change the SSID and ignore/shut off the WiFi in room B. It depends greatly on the equipment, but I have yet to see a decent consumer repeater, and since you can run a line to your mystery box I see no reason to use a repeater.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...