Wednesday 22 August 2018

How to dump process list during CPU spike or Memory spike in Windows 10?

My machine is a Windows 10 and it freezes for 2 mins, which is really disruptive. The things is that everything is so slow I don't get to see list of process in order to investigate further.



  1. What is the best way capture the process causing the issue?

  2. Based on what factors do I need to filter the process list in order to find the troublesome process? (From previous experience, I know I should be looking at the memory usage and CPU usage while spikes happen. Please let me know what else I should be looking at?)


I have used prefmon to find the time of CPU and memory peaks. I am more curious to find a way to find the troublesome process. One simple trick I did is that I scheduled a job to dump tasklist output into a text file every minute. But, I could see the scheduled job was NOT running for 3-4 minutes when the peaks were happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...