Wednesday 22 August 2018

browser addons - Can a site detect if I use AdBlock in Firefox?


I recently visited (an official) website in search for an episode of a TV-show. The site popped an information dialog stating that I had to disable AdBlock to see the content. Is this at all possible or is it just an educated guess? Does Firefox advertise what addons I have installed? If so: how and why does it work that way?



Answer



Yes, a website can detect that Adblock Plus is installed by referencing a Javascript file known to be blocked by Adblock Plus (because it matches a default rule) and check if this Javascript code has run, by checking a variable for instance.


See an explanation here: How To Detect Adblock Plus


And more details at Wikipedia: Adblock - Detection.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...