Sunday 26 August 2018

multi boot - Dual booting from Windows 7 hard disk and a Windows 7 VHD file


I have Windows 7 Enterprise edition installed on my laptop on the real physical hard disk. Now I want to create a vhd partition on the c:\ root directory and be able to dual boot into my real machine or a vhd that also runs Windows 7. Is this possible at all and if, yes how. If I try to do it, the installation on the VHD says that it is going to rename some operating system files that it found on the C:\ drive.



Answer



Scott Hanselman has a great write-up on this:


http://www.hanselman.com/blog/LessVirtualMoreMachineWindows7AndTheMagicOfBootToVHD.aspx


I think the only risky operation is that you will be mucking with boot loader, but it seems to be pretty close to a "just works" operation.


Haven't tried it myself yet (don't have the space).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...