Thursday 31 January 2019

windows xp - How do i keep a newly started program from taking focus?



Say i'm coding in emacs and want to start up a music program. Because it takes too long to start up i go back to coding and type away.


When the music application starts up, the focus is stolen (gasp! stolen!) away from emacs and goes to the music application, often mid-thought.


Is there any way to keep this from happening and have the newly started application not have focus until i see that it's up and ready to be used?


Besides getting rid of my ADD of course. Or getting an impossibly fast computer that can keep up with my mind.


i'm using a Windows XP system, but i will soon have a Windows 7 system, and i have Linux at home.



Answer



Create a shortcut to the music application, open its (the shortcut's) properties, and select Run Minimized in the dropdown. Save this shortcut on your desktop and use it when you want to start your app without losing focus. You probably won't know when it has fully launched without opening its window, but you can do that at a time of your choosing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...