Thursday 24 January 2019

Downloading multiple files, and specifying output filenames with wget


I'm using wget with the -i option to download a list of files from a URL.


However, I want to specify the names that these files will be saved with as well.


I see you can do that with a single file using -O, and can specify a directory with -P; is it possible to download a list of files, and specify filenames for each of them?



Answer



wget


Probably not with wget


perl


Something like ...


perl -MLWP::Simple -lane 'getstore($F[0],$F[1])' urls_and_filenames.txt

For Windows use " instead of '


curl


I note that curl has some options that might be relevant



-K, --config


Specify which config file to read curl arguments from.





--url


Specify a URL to fetch. This option is mostly handy when you want to specify URL(s) in a config file.


This option may be used any number of times. To control where this URL is written, use the -o, --output or the -O, --remote-name options.





-o, --output


Write output to instead of stdout. If you are using {} or [] to fetch multiple documents, you can use '#' followed by a number in the specifier. That variable will be replaced with the current string for the URL being fetched. Like in:


curl http://{one,two}.site.com -o "file_#1.txt"


or use several variables like:


curl http://{site,host}.host[1-5].com -o "#1_#2"


You may use this option as many times as the number of URLs you have.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...