Tuesday 22 January 2019

windows - List every DeviceHarddiskvolume.?


I've tried Diskpart commands like "list" "volume" (no it's not that at all), "disk" and "partition"; but it still don't work.


\Device\Harddiskvolume0 seems to not be used, since \Device\Harddiskvolume1 means the first Windows' partition (aka "System Reserved") and \Device\Harddiskvolume2 is for C:.


So the question is: How to list every \Device\Harddiskvolume in Windows' 7 installation disk (for BCD editing) ?



Answer



The reason I couldn't get things done is that HarddiskVolume doesn't reflect Diskpart volumes -which only lists every Windows readable volumes-.


In fact, it works with every partitions available on the disk -even the non-Windows ones-, by order they appear like in Linux's Gparted.


E.g, if you have an sda4 before sda3, this latter will show as is -sda4 then sda3- (HarddiskVolume4 then HarddiskVolume3).


So, it means that HarddiskVolume0 mainly don't exist in BCD.


The commands that helped me to understand that are:


mountvol /L

bootsect /nt60 all /force -> Be careful with that one !!!

These links also helped me:



Finally, if you have a spare Windows, just run DriveLetterView to see how Windows works with HarddiskVolume.


Note: The HarddiskVolume is a WMI/COM notation


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...