Saturday 26 January 2019

linux - VBox Guest Additions ISO can't be mounted because of VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED


I am trying to run the command sudo mount -t vboxsf SharedUbuntuWindows SharedUbuntuWindows but I get the error unknown filesystem type 'vboxsf' on my guest Ubuntu machine. I am following these instructions but I cannot find 'Install Guest Additions' under 'Devices'. Instead, I see 'Insert Guest Additions CD image'. Am I even on the proper path to solve the issue?


Screenshot menu


This is what I see when I select 'Insert Guest Additions CD image...'. Pressing 'Force Unmount' only makes the pop-up dialog disappear, but I still am unable to run the command sudo mount -t vboxsf SharedUbuntuWindows SharedUbuntuWindows. Screenshot error message



Answer



Insert Guest Additions CD Image is the same thing as Install Guest Additions in a different version of Virtual Box. That is the correct menu item. When you choose it, it will be as if you inserted an installation CD to your virtual machine. Run the appropriate setup program from the virtual CD drive.


Guest additions should include the software you need to use the vboxfs filesystem type.


EDIT: Based on your updated question, the real cause error you are seeing is VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED. Googling for that produces the answer in the first result: http://maheshhika.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/virtual-box-verr_pdm_media_locked/


Essentially, you need to unmount your virtual cd drive before inserting the guest additions cd image. The linked article provides instructions for doing this. Hitting the 'Force Unmount' button would be another way to unmount your drive, and after doing that the insert guest additions cd menu option should work the second time you use it.


Keep in mind that you not only have to insert the virtual cd, but actually run the installer before the vboxfs filesystem type will work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...