Monday 28 January 2019

audio recording - Can I hook up my stereo line-out to my Mac's line-in to record cassette tapes?


Can I hook up my stereo/boom-box's line-out (headphone) to my Mac's line-in (or microphone input)? What will be the side-effects, if any?


I want to record old cassette tapes as MP3/WAV/whatever on my Mac.



Answer




Can I hook up my stereo/boom-box's line-out (headphone) to my Mac's line-in (or microphone input)?



Update:


tl;dr: You can connect a "line-out" to a "line-in" and all will be well.


As slhck commented below, current MacBooks have a "line-in" socket that is for "a line-level microphone" which isn't your normal mic-in socket found on typical Windows/Linux PC hardware. A line-level input should be less vulnerable than a mic-level input (though it isn't designed for a headphone output expecting a 32-ohm impedance.) Designers of modern Macs and PCs probably make provision for end-users plugging inappropriate outputs into sensitive inputs


Normally, each of the following audio interfaces are different and (at least for quality reasons) should not be mixed up



  • line-in and line-out

  • headphone out

  • microphone in


Each interface is electrically different.


Line-in is explicitly designed to be connected to line-out (on a different device usually) and vice versa. These are high-impedance, low-current signal interfaces.


Microphone-in is designed for connecting microphones, these produce much weaker signals than line-out and normally need pre-amplification before being fed to a line-in interface.


Headphone outputs are designed for relatively low-impedance devices that use a much higher signal level. It would normally be a bad idea to connect a headphone-output to a microphone-input, at best you should expect clipping and distortion.


I think some computers have connectors whose electronics can be switched in software to provide appropriate impedance etc for two different signal levels.




Update:


Stricly speaking, you should use impedance matching and attenuation in between headphone-out and microphone input. This can be done with attenuating leads, DI boxes etc


For example, the description of this product says




  • Outputs Mic Level

  • Speaker Level Input



Or this one




  • Adjustable speaker simulation

  • Balanced mic level output



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...