Sunday 27 January 2019

windows 7 - Bad Sectors on Hard Drive


I run check disk pretty regularly on my hard drive, and lately it's been saying that I have some bad sectores (66, to be exact). I've run smartctl and HD Tune. Both tell me that I have bad sectors and the drive is in "pre-fail" stage. The drive is only a couple of years old. How worried should I be?


My drive is a FUJITSU MHW2160BJ FFS G2



Answer



The question isn't "How worried should I be?", it's "Can I worry enough?".


Prepare for the worst. If you aren't making backups make them now. Replace the drive and have it checked by someone else. If they confirm what your software is saying then kudos! You just avoided losing a hard drive. If they say it's fine, rejoice! There we no issues and you were scared for nothing.


Either way you win. The only way you lose is if you ignore it, don't backup, and it fails.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...