Wednesday 23 January 2019

networking - Remotely push DNS server to client via OpenVPN


When I try to push a DNS server via the OpenVPN server-config I don't get that server to be the first DNS server on the connected client system. It ends up being specified as an alternative DNS server.


push "dhcp-option DNS 89.238.75.146" # DNS-Server 1 (local djbdns)

To overcome certain network restrictions, if they're at place, I use 443 TCP. - That means that my DNS queries are sent via TCP (if I manually reconfigure the DNS server), which doesn't scale very well from a performance perspective.


Are there any kewl solutions for that?


Marius



Answer



I've noticed that it differs based on "client". If I use network manager I get the DNS but if I use "regular" openvpn service (in Ubuntu) I don't get the DNS. I haven't look deeper into this since I usually let network manager connect my vpn.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...