Tuesday 22 January 2019

terminology - How to name/describe the Windows 7 Start Button?


When troubleshooting trivial problems via phone, I'm often in this situation:



  • Me: Click on the Start Button

  • Other: What button?

  • Me: sigh The blue circle on the lower left with the windows logo on it

  • Other: What logo?

  • Me: SIGH On the lower left of your screen, there should be a blueish thingamajig, please click on this. You should then see a menu popping up.


Is there another way to tell a user to open the "Start" Menu, so that I can avoid going through this?


(And, by the by, since the button has no text anymore, is it actually still called Start-Button?)



Answer



I have heard some people call it the windows button now that it no longer has 'start' on it.


When you are working with people of this level of computer knowledge, I don't believe you'll be able to succintly describe the Windows Button if they can't follow your directions to look at 'the lower left with the windows logo on it'.


The other option would be to ask them press start on the keyboard, users may be more familiar with that term


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...