Saturday 13 January 2018

worksheet function - How to count the number of cells in a range containing a specific (sub)string with Excel/Calc?


Using Excel/Calc I have the following situation:



  • a range of cells containing values; assume it's A1:B10,

  • and a string I want to look for; for example, assume it is contained in C1.


Now what I want to do is count how many cells in the range equal that string or contain it as a sub-string.  How do I get that?  (For example, assume that I want the result in D1.)



Answer



I answer myself as I do this at least once a year and I feel the need of having a place to look for quickly when I forget something, plus I think this could be useful for someone else too.


So, ok, I know of two ways to do that:




  1. using conventional formula


    in D1 put =COUNTIF(A1:B10,"*"&C1&"*")


    Some notes (mostly) for newbies:





  2. using CSE/array formula


    D1 should be {=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(C1,A1:B10)),1,0))}


    (more about Excel array formula)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...