Tuesday 16 January 2018

windows - Unable to access a remote computer through Remote Desktop Connection when using a Microsoft Account


Description of the problem: I am not able to connect through Remote Desktop Connection to access Computer A from Computer B. More specifically, when I am on Computer B, I am not able to access Computer A through Remote Desktop Connection. I was asked to provide username and password, but I kept getting told by a "Windows Security" window that said: "Your credentials did not work."


enter image description here


Observation 1: I was able to access Computer B from Computer A. (The other way around.)


Observation 2: The only difference as I can tell, is that: I used a Microsoft Account to log-in (locally and natively) on Computer B, and used a username alone to log-in on Computer A. The usernames on the two computers (locally speaking) are:




  • Computer A: DESKTOP-XXX/username




  • Computer B: username@hotmail.com




Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro.


Observation 3: I have made sure that the there is no firewall between the two computers. (They are connected through a Ethernet switch in my home network, connecting to the outside world through the home router.)


Question: what has been going wrong? Do I have to assign and use the same Microsoft Account on Computer A? I have made sure that the password has been correct all the times, but the problem is persistent: I cannot connect from Computer B to Computer A, yet I can connect from Computer A to Computer B.


PS: I has also asked the same question in the TechNet forum, yet I am not counting on it quite a lot. Ref url.



The address for Computer A and B


As I only have dynamic IP on both machines, I used No-IP's service. Thus, for the two computers, for example: * Address for Computer A: computer-A.ddns.net * Address for Computer B: computer-B.ddns.net


Additional Experiments


Shutting down Computer B


When I shut down Computer B, using the address computer-B.ddns.net to connect still gets me the same error message (as in the screenshot above).


Getting a different IP for Computer B


Per the initial experiment, two computers are hosted in the same home network. Thus, the public IP for the two machines should be the same. To get Computer B a different IP, I disconnect the machine from the home network and used the Personal Hotspot on my phone. This time, I get a new error message:


enter image description here



Answer



I had the same with a couple machines linked to MicrosoftAccount\user from installation, remembered my previous installs started with a local account and were later linked to my Microsoft account and that worked fine.


Decided to change my Account so to sign in with a local account, tested RDP and that worked fine, decided to "re-link" my Microsoft account... tested again and it was still working without issues. Not sure exactly what causes the issue but it seems that creating a local account fixes the behavior, likely reg keys or gpedit settings not correctly configured with the Microsoft account.


Further to the above, I believe (from later found articles) that if the user signs in with the Microsoft's account password at least once rather than the PIN the issue may also be fixed.


https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2047664-remote-desktop-fails-after-changed-to-microsoft-account


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...