Tuesday 16 January 2018

gnome - Enabling mouse in tmux conflicts with paste in X



This question is similar but not identical to tmux -- any way to enable scrolling, but not selection?


I'm using tmux within gnome-terminal. When I use setw -g mode-mouse on in tmux to enable scrolling through the history buffer, tmux doesn't respect the copy/paste functionality in X, i.e. selecting text does not place the text in the primary buffer, and I can't paste using the middle mouse button


When I press the middle mouse button, I see coordinates in the upper right corner of the screen -- it looks like it's trying to register a middle mouse click as use of the scroll wheel.


Are there tmux settings that I can use to fix this? Are the scroll wheel and the middle mouse buttons seen as independent in tmux? Can I map middle mouse button to OS paste? Can tmux copy/paste request from/feed to OS paste?



Answer



Actually, the answer was hidden among the possibilities listed in tmux -- any way to enable scrolling, but not selection?:



You have the following options:



  • set up a keyboard short-cut that copies the tmux selection into yoursystem clipboard

  • use a terminal that supports set-clipboard function, such as xterm

  • disable any use of the mouse in tmux



I googled forset-clipboard and ran across http://grota.github.io/blog/2012/05/08/tmux-clipboard-integration/ which is what I wanted, if not what I asked for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...