Thursday 11 January 2018

motherboard - Can I place an 8x PCIe 2.0 Promise EX8760T into the 16x PCIe 2.0 slot on my Asus P7H55-M/CSM?




Possible Duplicate:
Will a PCI Express x1 TV tuner work on a PCI Express x16 slot ?



The Promise card has a PCIe 2.0 8X interface, and the motherboard has a single PCIe 2.0 16x slot.


My questions is: Even though the PCIe 2.0 16x slot on the motherboard is generally intended to be used for graphics, can I expect other types of PCIe 2.0 cards to function in that slot?


I am planning on using only the onboard video processor for display, and I need the RAID adapter in this server.



Answer



It will work. PCIe will use disable what ever lanes are not in use. The 16x slot isn't dedicated to graphics in anyway - it is the same as any other PCIe slot. It's just that the only PCIe cards most use are graphics cards.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...