Thursday 11 January 2018

Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions on Windows 10?


I am trying to install VirtualBox guest additions on Windows 10 technical preview, and am getting the following error:


Cannot be installed


I imagine I am not the only one having this issue, is there any way to force it to install?



Answer



Use of Windows Compatibility settings (or use /force) will not work: installer will run, but with no real effects.


Install VirtualBox 4.3.18 or newer. It has improved compatibility with Windows 10.


Note: Menu Help > Check for updates may not reflect the newest as being the latest. Download it manually instead.



Windows Host: Download from Virtualbox Download page for latest.


Ubuntu Host: run the following commands to register the virtualbox.org repository with the package manager and update from it:


sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib"
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-6

If you prefer, you can install the oldest virtualbox-5.2.


According to your distribution, replace xenial with any other Ubuntu release, like zesty, yakkety, xenial, vivid, utopic, trusty, raring, quantal, precise, stretch, lucid, jessie, wheezy, or squeeze.


Others: Check the download page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...