Monday 2 October 2017

Remote start up a machine that is in the shut down state?




Possible Duplicate:
Remotely turning on or rebooting a frozen computer



May I know how can one remote start up a machine that is in a shut down state?



Answer



Yes you can.


I see multiple solutions.


First: You can achieve this through LAN or even Internet.


For this, you have to open your BIOS settings and turn Wake On Lan (sometimes it's called Resume On Lan) on. But that's not enough. You have to turn Wake On Ring or Resume on Ring as well (if you have), actually this may be called differently. So you would probably need to turn ALL Wake on Lan settings in BIOS.


Then, you use special software (I use Linux and using wakeonlan script, search in Google for Windows programs). It's easy actually you can write your own.


All you need now is to know your MAC address. Then turn your computer on. in my case I do this: wakeonlan 00:ff:ff:11:33 (where 00:...33 is MAC address)


Second: (but not for a remote start up!) Windows supports on schedule power on. but in this case you need to set your Machine into StandBy mode, rather than power off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...