Monday 23 October 2017

freeze - Fresh install of Windows 10, freezing constantly

I just upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I did a fresh install to avoid any issues, but unfortunately it's been nothing but problems.


The PC freezes for about 10 seconds every 10 seconds. When it freezes, I can move the mouse pointer, but nothing responds, not even ctrl+alt+delete. After 10 seconds of doing absolutely nothing, it seems all my inputs happen at once. This happens consistently every time I boot.


The only things I've installed are:



  • All the latest drivers

  • The latest Windows updates (v1803)


I don't have an anti-virus, firewall, or anything else yet.


Specs:



  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero

  • CPU: Intel i7 7700k

  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 TI


So it's fairly beefy. The same hardware just worked fine in Windows 7, so it's not a hardware issue.


One thing I've noticed is that the System process is at 15% (> 100% of one CPU core) at all times. Based on recommendations here, I ran Process Monitor and discovered the faulty thread is called ntoskrnl.exe!rtlavlremovenode. Unfortunately googling that doesn't produce anything useful.


Has anyone seen this before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...