Monday 23 October 2017

How to SSH into windows xp?


I have a debian based linux distro (Crunchbang) running on an old laptop (really old). I want to ssh into windows xp (on my pc) from my debian laptop and run windows programs in GUI from my laptop. Is that possible ? How to achieve this if it is possible at all ?



Answer



If you just want to connect via SSH you need to install a ssh daemon for windows just like you would run one on linux. Here is a list of ssh daemons from a server fault question.


However if you want to interact with the desktop that will likely not be possible with SSH. You could do this with linux to linux via X Windows forwarding but Microsoft does not have that kind of system. You will need to use a cross platform desktop sharing software like Team Viewer or VNC to connect and "share"1 the desktop space. Or if you want "log in"2 to the laptop just use RDP3 to connect.


If you are only using SSH to provide security or access through your router both VNC and RDP can be tunneled inside a SSH session. I don't know if Team Viewer can, but it uses their own server to act as a randevu point so it can get through NATed firewalls without port forwarding.




1: You share the same desktop space on both screens, moving the mouse on one will move the mouse on the other.
2: You won't be able to see what is happening on screen on the laptop.
3: Most Linux distros support RDP out of the box, however it looks like crunchbang does not. You can install Remmina-XFCE or rdesktop which adds support to do it. They are both in the package manager.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...