Sunday 22 October 2017

macos - Why doesn't 'find' prune the way I think it should?


I'm running MacOSX 10.5.8


I run the following:


~/Sites/jjprof/trunk/content > find . -type d -name '*svn' -prune
./.svn
./resources/.svn
./resources/sitewide/.svn
./temporary/.svn
./users/.svn
./users/avatars/.svn

I would expect this command to ignore all the .svn subdirectories; instead it displays them.


find . -name '*svn' -prune 

does the same thing.



Answer



Try this:


find -type d -path '.svn' -prune -o -print

From man find under the section on -name:



To ignore a directory and the files under it, use -prune; see an example in the description of
-path.



Under the section on -path:



To ignore a whole directory tree, use -prune rather than checking every file in the tree. For example, to skip the directory src/emacs and all files and directories under it, and print the names of the other files found, do something like this:


             find . -path ./src/emacs -prune -o -print

From the "Examples" section:



However, the -prune action itself returns true, so the following -o ensures that the right hand side is evaluated only for those directories which didn't get pruned (the contents of the pruned directories are not even visited, so their contents are irrelevant).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...