Saturday 28 October 2017

VMware Player does not display USB stick and can not connect to network


I am running a Windows 7 guest OS on VMware Player from Windows 7. However, when I insert a USB jump drive the guest OS can not access it. VMware Player tells me the stick is connected, but it does not appear on the guest OS 'my computer'. The same is true with my network card. VMware Player detects it, but I am unable to join any networks. How can I fix this problem?



Answer



For USB:


Ensure you have a USB controller setup for the VM:


Virtual Machine Menu->Virtual Machine Settings


If you don't see "USB Controller" in the list, power down the virtual machine's guest operating system. Click "Add" at the bottom of the Virtual Machine Settings window, click "USB Controller" in the list, click "Next" and click "Finish."


Then ensure it's connected to the guest and not the host:


Virtual Machine Menu->Removable Devices->->Connect (Disconnect from Host)"


If your network controller is also USB this may help you get it working as well. If not, it's probably just a matter of ensuring the adapter is compatible with VMWare and that the drivers are properly loaded into the guest OS.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...