Monday 30 October 2017

windows 10 - Why is WinRAR 5 not giving me an option to use RAR5 format and only RAR4?


I just realized something. I recently purchased the WinRAR v.5.60 archive software:


enter image description here


But when I right-click some file that I want to RAR and then click Add to archive, the popup window offers me only the RAR4 format:


enter image description here


Why so?



Answer



After verifying the file properties using the method described here https://www.ghacks.net/2013/12/03/identify-open-rar5-archives/ we could conclude that:



  • The "RAR" option shown in the screenshot and selected by default is indeed the same as the "RAR5" option of previous versions.

  • The option explicitly mentioning "RAR4" refers to the old format that now is an option but not the default.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...