Saturday 2 September 2017

Installing Windows 10 (same product key) on a separate drive in case primary drive fails (multi-boot)

Current Setup:


My machine has four hard drives:


A 237GB SSD C: drive (almost full, nearly 4 years old) with Windows 10. I've got the original Windows 8 installation CD.


Storage Space (Z: drive), for important files. This Storage Space is comprised of two magnetic 1.8TB hard drives.


1.8TB magnetic drive (D:), currently unused and empty. Had some VM hard disk files there but I've moved them to my Storage Space (Z:) to make way for a new OS.


I have a Maximus VI Hero motherboard and UEFI bios.


Background:


I'm worried my C: drive will fail at some point. I need to get up and running again very quickly if this happens. I can't spend any time installing all the programs I need to do my job, especially if there's something urgent I need to deal with. (I realise that something else in my machine could fail, in which case I'd need a redundant workstation. Getting one soon.)


Goal:


I want to install Windows 10 on my spare D: drive. So if I lose the C: drive, I can boot Windows 10 on the D: drive, which will have all the programs I need installed and set up, good to go.


Main questions:


How do I do this?


Can I install Windows 10 on another drive using the same product key or do I need to buy another copy?


Related Questions:


I've dual booted Ubuntu and Windows on laptops before, but that was only one drive. Will I get something like a menu like Grub where I can choose which OS I want? I think I've seen a OS selection menu on Windows computers before.


Do I have to unplug or replug any cables before or after installation?


Will I be able to see the Storage Space (Z:) drive from the new Windows 10 OS?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...