Sunday 17 June 2018

windows - cmd move - move a couple of files


Ok so I have created test folders and files to work with the cmd commands:


C:.
|-------test
| \---testa
| \---testb
| test1.txt
| test2.txt
|
|-------test2

My problem is that i can't get the following command to work:


C:\test\testa\testb>move test1.txt,test2.txt ..\..\..\test2

It would output The syntax of the command is incorrect. In move /?, the syntax is:


MOVE [/Y | /-Y] [drive:][path]filename1[,...] destination

I believe my syntax is correct(?). Google couldn't help me out. I know some "alternatives" to this command. What I want to know is what i did wrong that my syntax is not correct.



Answer



The syntax of the move command in Microsoft's cmd as given by its /? option is wrong. The correct syntax can be found in the Windows NT command references on Microsoft's WWW site, and in the Windows Command reference that may have been installed on your machine with the operating system. Microsoft's move command only supports one source argument. For a move command that supports multiple source arguments, you need to use a better command interpreter.


Further reading



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...