Saturday 2 June 2018

file management - How to make Windows Explorer always use detail view?


As a developer I work with a lot of source code files etc. and I need to copy these around, rename, etc. I'm sure any developer knows the drill.


Windows Explorer is really "helpful" in suggesting different Views for different folders. Apparently one source code folder is an image folder, another apparently needs large icons etc. This appears to be getting worse with every new Windows release. It used to be possible to set a View on a root folder and Windows would pretty much respect that, but Vista keeps guessing (wrong) no matter what I do.


I like many of the other improvements that MS made to Windows Explorer over the years, but this persistent attempt and failure to guess how I want my files listed make it counterproductive and really spoils it all.


So I gave up on Windows Explorer and now use Salamander instead. But the problem comes up again every time I use someone else's computer, and whenever a program uses the standard file open/save dialogs.


Please - does anyone know of a way to tell Windows Explorer to always use Detail View - and keep doing it?


Thanks in advance



Answer



Found the fix here:



Copy the text between the lines below into notepad & save as a .reg file. Watch out for line wrap -- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER...\Shell] is all one line.




Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
"FolderType"="NotSpecified"




Merging the .reg file will set the 'All Items' template for any folders that don't currently have a view saved with a different template. You can clear all saved views by deleting the


"HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags"


key BEFORE merging the .reg file. If any folders open with a different template after clearing the 'Bags' key & merging the .reg file, they most likely have a template specified via their desktop.ini file.


-- Good Luck,


Keith Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...