Thursday 8 March 2018

windows 7 - External Hard Drive being incorrectly recognized as Internal Hard Disk

I have a 3TB Seagate GoFlex External HDD. When I first got the device, it would show up as Removable Storage in My Computer where I could right click on the drive and eject it when I was done. However after creating some partitions and formatting the drive stopped showing up as Removable Storage. I reverted my changes and went back to a single partition but it still registers as an Internal Hard Disk on all my computers.


The biggest problem I have with this is that I cannot eject it. I either have to turn it off by unplugging it since there is no power switch, or just unplug it from the USB. I'm worried about data corruption so I've since stopped using the drive.


I came upon another thread here: USB stick appearing as hard disk drive, not removable storage device


However the program, BootIt, that the author of the post refers to does not fix my problem. I tried turning on the "removable bit" numerous times but to no avail. Any ideas on how I can set this as a Removable Drive? Or revert the hard drive back to a factory state?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...