Friday 2 February 2018

Windows audio service takes constantly over 10% of CPU


svchost process on Windows 10 64b is taking 10-13% of CPU, all the time (older i5). If I stop service Audiosrv in that process (I'm using Process hacker) then it drops to zero. No sound is being played and it seems that is has no effect if there is audio being produced.


I tried reinstalling audio drivers (integrated sound card on motherboard and NVidia drivers for HDMI output). I also have an USB audio card, but I have never installed any drivers for it and it was working fine on Windows 7 64b and also on this Windows 10 64b for some time.


Any ideas how to fix this, so the service doesn't consume CPU power doing nothing? Current workaround is cumbersome - killing audio service and starting it only when I actually need audio. Also I think it has negative impact on games' performance.



Answer



Figured it out. Excessive stress was caused by Win10 Widgets (Rainmeter). After unloading volume widget CPU stress from audio service disappeared.


If you want your volume widget (sure I am) change following line of text in Volume-medium.ini from Update=1 to Update=1000.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...