Wednesday 21 February 2018

keyboard shortcuts - How to copy-paste absolute cell references temporarely as relative references in Excel?

In Excel (2007), when cells that contain absolute references (for example: $A$3) are copied, the absolute reference remains the same. This is by design, and the reason of using absolute references.


Problem -- However, sometimes I want copy a block of cells (that contain absolute and probably also relative references), and paste them with the absolute references shifted correctly for the new block. That is, I want the absolute references to behave like relative references when copying, but still be absolute references in the final copied result.


Example -- In the example screenshot, I want to copy the block A2:B3 downwards. When copied, I basically want to have the formula in B3 (=$A$3) changed so that it refers to the cell to the left of it, for example becoming =$A$11 when copied to B11, as in the bottom part of the screenshot.


example in Excel


Workaround -- I have found a workaround to do this, by:



  1. making a copy of the entire worksheet (ctrl-drag worksheet tab to new location),

  2. then cutting (ctrl-X) the relevant block of cells from the new worksheet

  3. pasting (ctrl-v) into the original worksheet.

  4. finally deleting the new, temporary worksheet (right-click worksheet tab and delete).


Question -- But this is too many actions for my taste. Is there an easier way (perhaps some Paste Special hidden option)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...