Tuesday 20 February 2018

Remember each folder's view settings in Windows 7?


I know this functionality is not available as a built-in option for Windows 7. However, I'm asking because I'm curious if anybody here has found a way to achieve this effect through other means (perhaps a 3rd party utility, or some other trick).


Please keep in mind that I'm not interesting in remembering window position and sizes. I only care about the view/layout settings (icons/list/details/etc). I'm also not interested in setting a single default view for every folder.


I understand this might not be possible, but I wanted to take the chance asking.



Answer



The view is attached to the library. Or, more precisely, the library type (Music, Video, Documents etc). The folder view as seen from outside the library can be different.


All included folders and sub-folders in a library will always share the same folder view. The most one can do is have separate "Arrange by" view settings in each added right-click -> New -> Folder created in the library itself.


One "workaround" I know of, is to setup a second library with the view you want. You can even have the same folders in it.


The extremely long thread Is Remember each folder's view settings functionality gone for good? has this solution by a guy named Gray (which I haven't tested) :



There are two scenarios with remembering views (Windows 7):



  1. Libraries - Don't Remember

  2. Folders / Favourites - DO Remember (Easy Fix : Add My Docs to Favourites - see below)


Library Behavior


Lets say you click Documents, then choose 'medium icons', wherever you navigate within Documents from then on stays in 'med icon' view.


NB Choosing Organize>Fold & Search Options>View>'Apply to Folders' and 'Reset Folders' are not available in Libraries.


Folders / Favorites


Folders do remember views by default. So if you navigate to C:\users\xxx\Documents etc each individual folder in the tree will remember whatever you set it to.


Likewise if you add 'My Documents' to Favorites and navigate from there. To add 'My Docs' to Favorites you need to navigate to your User Folder e.g:



  1. Start Menu > User Folder > My Docs

  2. Right-click Favorites > Add current location to favorites


DO NOT add 'My Docs' to Favorites from within Libraries. As it is 'Libraries' that ignore last view setting.


NB Choosing Organize>Fold & Search Options>View>'Apply to Folders' and 'Reset Folders' are available in Folders. So you can make all folders copy your current view (Apply to folders).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...