Tuesday 27 February 2018

How to scroll up in terminal window while new input is generated without beeing thrown back to the bottom (Linux)


In Ubuntu, I want to scroll up while a command is running in my terminal window and generates new output (actually the command running is rspec). I can scroll up, but each time rspec generates a new line of console output it throws me back down to the bottom. Is there a way to scroll all up? I'm using terminator on Linux Mint/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS


UPDATE


I found a possible workaround Terminator homepage says that with


stty ixon

you can turn on "XON/XOFF flow control for terminal output. Being able to pause output by typing ^S and resume it by typing ^Q [...]"


This it not totally what I wanted though, without having to pause the output (and maybe wondering when forgetting to turn it on again), I thought there might be a simple modifier key like shft-alt with mouse wheel scroll-up.. Any better solutions?



Answer



Although I'm a bit late, I'm posting this here so that anyone who comes here gets a solution. For me, the solution to the same problem was:


Terminator preferences -> Profiles Tab -> Scrolling [sub]tab -> Uncheck 'Scroll on output' option.


The good thing about this option, is that it will still scroll on output when you are at the very bottom of the output, but as soon as you scroll up, it will stop and won't bother you even if output content is still being generated.


I hope this helps


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...