Thursday 22 February 2018

windows - How to rename a (too) long file name



I have downloaded this pdf file with a very long name, which cannot be opened by Adobe Reader or by Adobe Professional because it has "invalid file name".


It cannot be renamed using the DOS prompt but it has "too long name or extension". I tried to delete so that my recovery program can rename then restore it, it but it won't be deleted as a file.


The only way to delete it is by deleting the folder where it was downloaded into (which I did, but restored it later). It can't also be printed or moved or copied to another folder. Is there a way to open or rename these kinds of files?


I tried to rename it by right clicking the title but what appears is a shortened version of the options with no rename function. I then discovered that it has a password protection, which is not provided by the website from which I downloaded it.



Answer



To rename a file with long file name you can try to rename it by using the short (8+3) windows name.



  • open command prompt and find the directory with the file

  • type dir /X

  • this command will show the short 8+3 names followed by long names


  • find the file you want to rename and use command


    rename "shortname" "newname"




  • "shortname" is 8+3 name and "newname" is name you want to rename to




Example: if you have a file named "verylongfilename.txt", it should have short name "verylo~1.txt" so you would use command


rename verylo~1.txt newname.txt


and should end up with file "newname.txt".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...