Monday 19 February 2018

microsoft excel - How do I create a dynamically-growing graph which ignores empty tail cells?

I have a table on an Excel 2010 Worksheet 'Consolidated Data' where:



  • Column A is filled with arbitrary dates sorted by increasing age

  • Column F has numeric data relevant to this question

  • Row 1 is the header / title row.

  • Data begins on Row 2.

  • There are no intermediary rows with empty cells.

  • Data currently ends on Row 34.


In the same Workbook is Worksheet 'Graphs' which has a chart named Data over Time and the data range of:


Consolidated Data'!$A$2:$A$100,'Consolidated Data'!$F$2:$F$100

Charted data on the graph after Row 34 appears as a straight line at the highest value.


I am trying to get the graph to stop adding the empty data after 'Consolidated Data'!F34, but to also grow in width dynamically if I add new data to 'Consolidated Data'!F35.


I tried to follow the advice from here, but am getting an error when setting the series as the Chart data range.


I tried to create names as follows:


'Consolidated Data'!YVal    =OFFSET('Consolidated Data'!$F$2,0,0,COUNTA('Consolidated Data'!$F:$F)-1,1)
'Consolidated Data'!XVal =OFFSET('Consolidated Data'!YVal,0,-5)

but when I set the series per the article


=SERIES(,'Consolidated Data'!XVal,'Consolidated Data'!YVal,1)

I get an error.


Of note, this is the first time I'm creating names in Excel. When I click the name box, type a name, hit 'enter', and then enter the data in the formula, the current cell I'm in (happens to be unused Column G on 'Consolidated Data') displays a value.


What am I doing wrong, and how can I achieve the intended goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...