Tuesday 27 February 2018

troubleshooting - Windows XP doesn't actually recursively change attributes


This should probably go into the question about Windows Annoyances, but can anyone explain why this happens, and how to fix it?


I right-click on a folder, select properties, and uncheck the Read-only. Click on OK. I get a confirmation with the option to apply changes to this folder only, or include subfolders and files. I select the latter, and click OK.


Go back to properties, and it's still showing up as Read only. Why? I can't see any files that are still read-only



Answer



This issue is described in KB326549: You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista


The solution given there is to simply use the command-line attrib command to remove the attributes, like so:


attrib -r -s "c:\somepath\my readonly folder"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...