Sunday 25 February 2018

ubuntu - "cannot read the Linux header." New install, old machine


This could be a hardware problem. I hope not. I have an old Compaq Evo laptop and I have completed the install of lubuntu from here: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/11.10/release/. There were no complaints during setup which was a complete wipe of the 250 GB HD. I get a boot menu when booting from the HD but it has never got past the error message:


error: cannot read the Linux header.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

I am now in rescue mode and I can execute a shell in /dev/sda1. When I do fdisk -l I see just three partitions:



  • /dev/sda1 (id:83), real big

  • /dev/sda2 (id:5), extended

  • /dev/sda5 (id:82), swap


I can see files in /boot and in my home directory. What to do next? (and by the way you're not allowed say "bring laptop to recycling centre").


Here are the errors from my RESULTS.txt


unlzma: Decoder error
awk: cmd. line:36: Math support is not compiled in

I wonder is it because the boot files are in a part of the disk that is inaccessible to the BIOS?



Answer



Figured it out. The single large partition for / was causing a problem. I assume because of the old BIOS. I solved it by manually partitioning as follows:


40 GB  / 
2 GB /boot
1 GB /swap

There she boots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...