Saturday 24 February 2018

standby - What is the difference between (these four) sleep states?


Whilst browsing the interwebs, I found an article here about how to run a Power Efficiency Report. As I wasnt doing anything, I decided to try it and see what it did.


In the results it listed the following four sleep states with true of false next to them showing if my PC supports it;



  • S1

  • S2

  • S3

  • S4


I just wondered, what are the differences between these sleep states?


Thanks



Answer



S0 - On / Working


The computer is powered up. If supported, power conservation is handled by each device.


S1 - Sleep


CPU is stopped. RAM maintains power. Everything else is off, or in low power mode.


S2 - Sleep


CPU has no power. RAM maintains power. Everything else is off, or in low power mode.


S3 - Standby


CPU has no power. RAM maintains power, refreshes slowly. Power supply reduces power. This level might be referred to as “Save to RAM.” Windows enters this level when in standby.


S4 - Hibernate


Power to most hardware is shut off. Any files in memory are saved to the hard disk in a temporary file. If configured, the NIC will remain on for WOL, or AoL. This level is also known as “Save to disk.”


S5 - Off


Everything is off. No files are saved. If configured, the NIC will maintain power to listen for WOL (Magic) packets. This is known as a shutdown.


Source


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...