Tuesday 27 February 2018

How do I get rid of the background window ahead of the Windows 10 lock screen?


I don't want to get the of the lock screen. If I hit Windows+L I want it to go directly to the lock screen. Instead, it goes to a background screen that I have to click or otherwise interact with to get to the lock screen - I can't just start typing my password! The same thing happens if I power up my computer out of sleep.


I have looked under Settings -> Lock Screen and I can see where I can change the picture for this background, but not how to skip this screen entirely.


I don't know what this extra background screen is called, but I want to get rid of it! How do I do this? I used to have it configured this way, but when I applied the Windows Anniversary Update yesterday it reverted to putting this annoying extra screen in the way.



Answer



There is a workaround to disable the Lock Screen in Anniversary Update builds, in any edition of Windows.


Create a Scheduled Task that runs the following command-line, or a batch/script that runs the following command:


reg.exe add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\SessionData /t REG_DWORD /v AllowLockScreen /d 0 /f

The idea is to reset the AllowLockScreen value data to 0 on these two trigger events:



  • Log on

  • Workstation unlock.


So you need to use multiple triggers for that task.


(or)


Download the Task XML from here: How to Disable the Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607)?


And use the Import Task option in Scheduler to create/import the task automatically.


Lock the workstation and unlock it. From the 2nd time onwards you shouldn't see the lock screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...