Wednesday 28 February 2018

firefox - Only 360p on Youtube with HTML5


I recently read that Firefox improved it's HTML5 video support, so I thought I gave it a go again, because I am not a fan of Flash. It works fairly well, but unfortunately the videos are limited to 360p only.


Are there any settings to be made or is this it?



Answer



Ok, a friend was also experiencing the same issue and this apparently helped:




  1. Go to https://www.youtube.com/html5




  2. Ensure MSE i.e. Media Source Extensions (required for MPEG-DASH i.e. adaptive streaming) and H.264/WebM are supported by your browser ( see below for more). Also if you right click any video and select Stats for nerds you can see whether DASH is supported or not:


    1




  3. Click the Request the HTML5 player button:


    2




  4. Now you should see this and can try viewing videos at resolutions above 360p:


    3




To enable MSE in Firefox go to about:config and ensure all of the following are set to True:


media.mediasource.enabled
media.mediasource.youtubeonly
media.mediasource.mp4.enabled
media.mediasource.webm.enabled
media.fragmented-mp4.exposed
media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled


(Actually even if either MP4 or WEBM is enabled that should suffice, but if one doesn't work try enabling the other.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...