Monday 26 February 2018

windows server 2008 - NTP sync... doesn't


Following the instructions here, I've manually configured the Windows Time service to use an external time source.


As I noticed the server's clock drifts very fast (1s per 40min), I set the SpecialPollInterval registry parameter to 60sec so that it'll sync often thus neutralizing the drift.


The minute I executed net stop w32time && net start w32time the error dropped to 8ms and I was happy. Alas no more than 20min have passed and it is back up to 300ms.


How come?
How can I fix this?


Notes:



  • It's a VPS

  • Windows Server 2008

  • Using the following time sync sources: 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, 2.pool.ntp.org

  • Using this to measure the drift

  • Measured minute by minute , the drift is almost linear



Answer



I would comment here, but compare your settings to the following server, which I know works. I have to add them as screenshots. I might also consider using the time.windows.com server. It may be farther than the ones you chose, but I have seen issues with other NTP servers. It will still get you close enough time-wise.


enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...