Sunday 25 February 2018

schtasks in windows XP


I am trying to use schtasks to create a scheduled task. While I have no problem using this utility on my Windows 8 machine (or Windows 7 for that matter), I find that XP machines don't have this exe installed.
Is this correct or am I doing something wrong ? (when I type schtasks in the command line of XP machines I get 'schtasks is not recognized...').
According to the MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb736357(v=vs.85).aspx) docs this is supposed to be supported by XP and up. If not, is it possible to run this as a standalone program (meaning, to copy the process myself to the target machine and execute it) ?


Thanks !



Answer



It is possible that you don't have %SystemRoot%\system32 in your PATH variable. Does it work when you call it with the full path like %SystemRoot%\system32\schtasks.exe?


This utility should be present in every version of Windows XP but Home an Starter as @Sriniv's answer indicates.


If you're using XP Home/Starter you can safely copy the utility to %SystemRoot%\system32. I've checked it with Dependency Walker and it doesn't seem to have any external dependencies apart from WinAPI.


You should be wary of licensing issues though, the Product Name of this utility is Microsoft® Windows® Operating System so it probably counts as a part of Windows XP edition you're taking it from and might have to be licensed. I'm not an expert in licensing though so this might be incorrect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...