Sunday 14 January 2018

vhd - Moving a Windows 10 installation to VHDX file and boot from it

I have a new ASUS G752VL-DH71 laptop. I would like to make a backup of the current installation of Windows 10 in the form of a virtual hard disk file (VHDX) and I would like to be able to boot into that VHDX file. This is because I plan to reinstall Windows 10 but I want to keep the old installation around for reference. This topic was discussed recently on Channel 9.



When I try to boot to the VHDX file, I just get a blue screen of death that says INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Can anyone tell me how to fix this error? If not, could you please tell me how I can debug the error?



I ran Disk2vhd 2.01 to convert my main partition into a VHDX file. Here is a screenshot of what Disk2vhd looks like when I run it:


Disk2vhd


Notice how there is no SYSTEM partition shown. The video on Channel 9 showed a SYSTEM partition in Disk2vhd, but on my computer Disk2vhd does not show the SYSTEM partition.


I know that I do have a SYSTEM partition because when I run diskpart in a Command Prompt and run the list volume command, the output is:


  Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 D DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 1 C OS NTFS Partition 930 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 2 SYSTEM FAT32 Partition 260 MB Healthy System
Volume 3 RECOVERY NTFS Partition 499 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 4 G SSD NTFS Partition 476 GB Healthy

I can also see the SYSTEM partition in the Disk Management snap-in.


If someone could tell me why Disk2vhd does not see my system partition and what to do about it, then that would probably solve my problem.


In Disk2vhd, I tried selecting the main partition (C:) and the RECOVERY partition, and leaving both checkboxes checked (Use Vhdx and Use Volume Shadow Copy). I also tried not selecting the recovery partition. Both selections had the same effect; giving me the blue screen of death mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...