Tuesday 19 September 2017

windows - Why does Chrome install itself under user directory instead of Program files?


On Windows 7 (x64), Chrome is installed in:


 C:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\

Is that better that Program Files? Is it a general best practice?


I suppose it's good (and more secure) to allow each user to have a separate app, but I'm surprised there isn't a C:\Users\userid\Program Files\ directory for that, like on Mac OS X.



Answer



It's so that Google can update the Chrome without asking for administrator privileges. Which, depending on your view can make it more secure or less.


Generally this is really not a best practice as much as it is a developer's decision. Historically developers didn't do it to save space on the disk but that's a moot point nowadays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...