Monday 4 September 2017

SearchIndexer.exe faulting on Windows 8

I've had Windows 8 running on my laptop since it went RTM, but since about 2 or 3 days ago I haven't been able to use my Windows Media Network Sharing Service to watch movies on my Xbox. I finally decided to investigate a little bit and it turns out that service isn't running due to a service dependency that isn't running. The dependency is the "Windows Search" service.


When I try to run it, it fails and if I look in the Application Event Log I see this:


Faulting application name: SearchIndexer.exe, version: 7.0.9200.16433, time stamp: 0x50763415
Faulting module name: ESENT.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010aad8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002056b3
Faulting process id: 0xfdc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce395021b94eb3
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\ESENT.dll
Report Id: 5f84cb8e-a543-11e2-be7e-68a3c4f66910
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Does anyone have any idea why this is occurring? It worked fine for months up until just a few days ago.


Laptop: HP ProBook 4530s, Core I5, 8G RAM, Win8 Pro


Which reminds me - I did just upgrade from 4 to 8 gigs of RAM a little over a week ago, but I don't see why that would be causing the problem. The laptop has been very stable and nothing weird has happened since then (except this).


Thank you!


EDIT:


I forgot to mention, I followed the steps that they described over on this technet forum post by doing a sfc /scannow and analyzing the cbs.log file for corrupt files but I don't seem to have any. I spent quite a bit of time reading up on how to analyze that log file and everything seems good. sfc /scannow reports "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" upon completion of the command. That seemed to fix the problem for several people, but not me...


EDIT 2:


I just found this Windows Search Troubleshooter on support.microsoft.com, but still no luck. It didn't seem to do anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...