Tuesday 5 February 2019

macos - Installing Windows 10 via bootcamp on an SSD in the optical drive slot

This will be long winded more than likely, because I have been going at this for almost 10 hours and can't figure out what to do. I am using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.11.6. Prior to today I was using the standard HD that came in the computer and it was configured for dual boot. Installing Windows 10 via boot camp was an easy process when I had did this quite some time ago.


Today I removed my optical drive (it hasn't worked in a long time, and I rarely use optical media anymore) and installed an 860 Evo in its place. I booted my computer in Windows 10 and it detected the drive fine, but of course it was unformatted. At the time I thought it'd be easy to just migrate over my Windows 10 partition to the new drive, and then expand said partition to the full size of the drive and utilize the entire new SSD as a dedicated Windows 10 HD.


Boy was I ever wrong. The data migration went fine, but upon trying to boot into it, it kept booting into my older drive. I didn't understand why, I changed the boot order via the Windows side (bootcamp control panel), and the OS X side. But it still would not boot into the new drive. Well I pulled a stupid move (live and learn) and figured, hey I'll just delete the old Windows partition of my main drive, then it will HAVE to boot into the new drive. This was dumb, and my fault, because now I lost everything on that Windows install, but it isn't anything I can't replace.


But then the real headache ensued. I reformatted the new drive, went through Bootcamp assistant, and created a USB drive to install Windows 10 from. I assuming that since I've done this before, it worked fine, it should work now. Well I was wrong again. Windows 10 tried installing, but failed at the same point time and time again. I googled this, someone suggested resetting PRAM and trying again. Well this seemed to work, installation went through fine until the Windows 10 drive actually tried to boot.


Then I got a blue screen loop with an error related to a graphics driver (igdkmd64.sys). I tried reformatting the new drive again, and going through the Windows install process again, and yet I still get the same error about the same driver. So I looked it up, I found some people saying that some MB's don't like installing Windows 10 via USB drives and prefer optical drives. I saw some saying that you have to unplug the drives within the computer in a certain magical order in order for the Apple gods to allow you to desecrate their sacred machine by installing a Windows OS on it.


As of right now I dusted off the external Superdrive and am burning a Windows 10 ISO to a DVD in order to try that. Unfortunately Bootcamp assistant, being that some people say you NEED optical media with some machines, doesn't like to install the necessary files on optical media and only lets you use thumb drives. I'm not sure what to think.


Anyone had this issue? I've installed Windows 10 via bootcamp more than once using USB drives, it never failed. But there's something about installing Windows 10 to a separate HD that seems to cause issues here. I may try migrating all my current partitions to the new HD, then trying Bootcamp Assistant again. Maybe the Apple gods will be more appeased if I setup the Windows partition on the same drive as the OS X portion. I'll sacrifice a child if need be, I just want a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...