Wednesday 13 February 2019

networking - Windows 7 drive (P:|)shared with Everyone but not accessible by Windows XP computers on our network


I'm trying to share my P:\ drive on a Windows 7 (Pro) PC with other PCs (WinXP) on my network. I shared it and set permissions to give Everyone Full Control.


Symptoms




  • Computer XP(different computer on the network) can access \win7\users\ public (and copy files to it and edit files in that folder) but not the \win7\p:\




  • Folders I've shared on the Windows 7 PC are visible to the XP computers but just not accessible . From the other WinXP PCs on the LAN accessing the Win7 PC, I get "win7\p not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. " "Access Denied".




Edit: I've to Advanced Sharing options set to have the following enabled:



  • Network Discovery

  • File and Printer sharing

  • Sharing so anyone can read/write files to public folders.

  • 128 bit encryption (perhaps this is an issue? Perhaps it should be set to 40 bit encryption?)

  • Allow Windows to manage homegroup.

  • XP machines are set to not use Simple File Sharing.


Other Things I've Tried



  • Confirmed all computers are in the MSHOME workgroup.

  • Turned off the Windows 7 Firewall, briefly. Problem persisted.

  • Tried the Windows 7 Network Troubleshooter. Just led me around in a circle saying "found problem...need more information". The links from there led back to the Network Troubleshooter.

  • tried disabling the Firewall on the Windows XP machine. No joy.

  • Verified the XP machines are both on Win XP SP3 and both have "download updates" turned on.

  • Installed IE8 on the XP machine1. (Previously it had IE 6). Still no joy.


Any ideas?



Answer



Try this on the Windows 7 machine:



  1. Open Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

  2. Click on Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment on the left.

  3. Double-click "Deny access to this computer from network".

  4. Select Guest and click Remove.

  5. click OK.

  6. EDIT: Ensure in the Permissions for the network share, that Guest is included, since it's no longer part of the Everyone group.

  7. Use regedit to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and create or modify the value of LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy (32-bit dword) to 1, so the remote logon token will not be filtered (see here).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...