Thursday 7 February 2019

USB-device plugged into an eSATA




Possible Duplicate:
I accidentally plugged my USB mouse into my eSata port… it works?



My father bought a nice USB-gadget for me and wanted to demonstrate it to me. So he plugged it in as I wasn't at home. Unfortunately he has plugged it into the eSATA-jack and not into the USB-jack. I didn't see it for quite a while and the gadget and the notebook was running fine for hours (although the USB-gadget was plugged into eSATA).


Does anybody know if this can be done without being potentionally harmful?


(I'm very astonished that it hasn't done harm and even more surprised as it has worked. Pressing plugs into jacks which shouldn't be put there feels wrong to me.)



Answer



I believe that most of the newer eSATA jacks also act as USB jacks. On my Dell E6400 that is the case. The shape of the opening is slightly different to accommodate both.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATA/USB



enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...