Monday 11 February 2019

windows xp - How to fix Notepad++ icons not showing?


I like to develop in Notepad++, but ever since I installed MS Office 2010, even after setting it as the default editor for all html/php/js files, I still get the XML Editor's icon in the file browser, and not Notepad++'s.


I also would like to get rid of that XML Editor entirely, so if anyone can tell me what to change in Add/Remove programs to wash it off my system, I'd love to hear about it.



Answer



If the file association is set correctly and only the icon needs to be changed, you can use something like FileTypesMan to accomplish this.




  1. Select the file type/extension you want to edit from the top pane:


    enter image description here




  2. Next edit the selected file type (via right-click/context menu or F2) and ensure the Default Icon field is set to properly point to Notepad++'s executable (or whichever file contains the icons; perhaps a .DLL):


    enter image description here




  3. Exit FileTypesMan, log off and log back in or reboot as required, then test your changes




Of course you can do all this from the registry as well, but this utility just makes it easier (and likely safer too). :)


Regarding removal of the Office XML Editor, I didn't find a separate entry under Add/Remove Programs for it, neither could I spot it when I chose to modify the Office 2010 installation and Add/Remove Features. Perhaps I somehow missed it. Anyway, no harm in it being there as long as it's no longer associated in any way with the .XML extension, which is what you want.)




Edit: The Notepad++ File Association utility might also be able to help, otherwise I would recommend trying again via the program itself, or reinstalling so that the installer can set all default file associations properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...