Thursday 20 December 2018

virtual machine - Does Windows notice when a VM is moved around?

I'm thinking of migrating a Desktop machine (Windows XP) to a VM solution (VirtualBox or MS Virtual PC). The reason is that I need a new hardware anyways and I don't want to (cannot properly) reinstall all the "business" apps on there.


So my plan goes as follows: I'll pull an image of the machine and restore it to a Virtual Machine using Acronis Universal Restore or some other tool that can restore to dissimilar hardware. (The process is largely irrelevant for this question I think.)


Once I have this virtual machine properly running I'll move it to a new PC.


So the question now is. Are there any caveats wrt. to Windows (XP?) being installed in a VM and the VM machine being moved around on different host computers? Can anything break in the OS inside the VM? Will there be troubles wrt. to Windows activation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...