Thursday 6 December 2018

How to rsync a large file, with as little CPU and bandwidth expense as possible?

I have a 500 GB file that I plan on backing up remotely. The file changes often. I'll be rsyncing it from a desktop to a server. Both can run rsync client or server.


What is the proper command for this? The ones I've tried sofar has been taking forever or simply acted strange.


Example and results:


rsync -cv --partial --inplace --no-whole-file /desktop/file1 myserver.com::module/file1 

Seems to work, but only if I do it twice (?!). Also, slow.


Does the above command do the checksumming on both computers, or only on the sending one? Is it correct otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...