Monday 3 December 2018

command line - How do I recover from "repair pending" error in SFC?

I am trying to fix an issue with Windows registry and services. I tried running sfc command but this is the error message I get?


C:\Windows>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart
Windows and run sfc again.

C:\Windows>

But I have rebooted several times since this message first appeared, and I even tried running the command in safe mode and in console mode but I still get the same message. How do I get rid of it?


There is this file in winsxs folder: C:\Windows\winsxs\cleanup.xml


This is it's content:









Could this be something? Is this the cause? Is it safe to delete this file?


Update


I tried renaming it but the operation failed.


I ran the explorer.exe with elevated privileges and navigated to the location. I got the UAC confirmation prompt and then the error below.


Destination Folder Access Denied
You need permission to perform this action

How do I rename or delete this file? Do I need to use cmd or be in safe mode to do it?


Update 2


I started safe mode with command prompt and tried taking ownership of the file and then renaming it. Rename failed.


C:\Windows\winsxs>ren cleanup.xml cleanup.xml.old
Access is denied.

C:\Windows\winsxs>takeown /f "cleanup.xml"

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\winsxs\cleanup.xml" now owned by user
"mycomputername\username".

C:\Windows\winsxs>ren cleanup.xml cleanup.xml.old
Access is denied.

C:\Windows\winsxs>

I also issued following command.


C:\Windows\system32>icacls "C:\Windows\winsxs\cleanup.xml" /grant username:F
processed file: C:\Windows\winsxs\cleanup.xml
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

C:\Windows\system32>cd ..\winsxs

C:\Windows\winsxs>ren cleanup.xml cleanup.xml.old
Access is denied.

C:\Windows\winsxs>

It still won't allow me to rename it. I issued these last two commands in normal Windows mode. Does it matter?... I will try a reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...